[Reddit] Ladies, what are your best skin care tips?

I've been fighting with my pores for some time. They are small enough, but I can't seem to get them clean and stay clean. If you ladies have any good routines, recipes, or products you swear by please let me know! I'd appreciate the help. I am among many of you as a sufferer of KP, also dry and very fragile, fair skin. Here are a few of my personal favorite tips: Cold, cool, or lukewarm showers are the best; they don't dry out your skin and actually can leave it refreshed. Also, this is great for your hair to make it shiny and silky. Don't shower everyday. If you must, then don't use soap on anything but the important stuff; it'll dry your skin out and will hinder the build up of natural skin oils essential for healthy skin. If you wear makeup, WASH IT OFF EVERY NIGHT. No exceptions to this one. Instead of lotion, I use liquid coconut oil to moisturize after a shower. It has helped my KP more than any dermatologist, keeps it silky smooth and touchable, moisturizes like mad, and leaves a light sweet scent. If you can't find coconut oil, look for tubs of Eucerin. It is sent from the skin gods, though expensive. For a face scrub since I have dry skin, I mix raw sugar with coconut oil and a bit of honey. Rinse and pat dry with a clean towel. I don't know if I'd suggest this for someone with oily skin, though. I use hypo-allergenic everything- from laundry detergent to body wash. I like to think this helps keep my skin clear, though probably not. Something a lot of people don't do because of the extra time it takes is PAT DRY with a dry towel after you step out of the shower. Rubbing can scrape your skin in ways it shouldn't be. Within 3 minutes of patting dry, apply moisturizer all over. The moisturizer locks in the water on the outer layers of your skin; it doesn't normally put more in. After about three minutes, all that good ole' H2O evaporates. Don't load up on fatty foods; even my dry skin hated it when I tried the lo carb diet. I've never had so many zits before. Thus, I stay away from these kinds of food for my skins sake. Drink lots of water. And wear a light sunscreen at all times. I cover my skin as best I can when possible. When I can't or don't want to, there is always a good sunscreen nearby. That's about all I can think of at the moment. Sorry these aren't 'tricks' per se, but timing and good habits.

Whatever treatment you put on your face (lotion, scrub, whatever), also do to your chest. It is just as sensitive and exposed. It is no good to have a soft smooth face and a dry wrinkly chest! You can use face masks on your feet. The best thing I've ever done (okay...slight exaggeration, but it's still great!) was put one of those hydrating clay masks from a pouch on my feet for about twenty minutes, then soaked in cool water for five. Stinky armpits no matter what you do? Use acne face wash under your arms--it kills the smelly bacteria. I actually don't use deodorant now and I smell pretty great. I know you are all crazy about coconut oil, but I like to deep condition my hair with coconut cream. I just rub it in like you would any hair product about twenty minutes before I shower, and then shampoo it out. If you don't shampoo and just try to rinse, it can leave a waxy residue, but if you lather it up it leaves your hair silky and smelling really nice for a bit. Drink ALL the water! The 6-8 glasses rule is kind of silly in my opinion because everyone's needs are different, but occasionally I'll hit 12 bottles' worth in a day. Since I've been drinking water more regularly (about a year ago I was a Coke fiend sniff sniff) my skin has cleared up and heals much faster. Use a toner! It doesn't matter if you buy a high-end toner or just use witch hazel on a cotton pad; try and use it in the morning and right before bed. After about three days the difference should be vastly apparent--smaller pores, less redness, generally more fantastic. I've seen a lot of talk about toner, what exactly does it do for your skin? (Happy cake day, btw!) Basically, a toner restores the pH level of your skin. Generally, skin should be at about a 5.5, and after you wash it or use make-up products (or even sunscreen!) the level of acidity will change. So, it restores pH, removes residue and dirt, tightens your pores (which keeps your skin hydrated, by the way!), and also increases circulation to the area. Overall it just makes your epidermis healthier! And, thank you very much! I was stoked to see that little slice of cake next to my name this morning! You've sold me, I'm buying a toner and using acne wash on my armpits. I love you. Happy cakeday! Sweet! If the things marketed as face toners are a little pricey for your tastes, witch hazel works just fine and comes in a bottle like rubbing alcohol does, and in fact should be found on the same aisle. It's like....a buck. Maybe two. Best of luck to you! Do I just apply the toner after I wash my face and before I moisturize? Or when? Yep! After washing and before moisturizing. I use it primarily as a make-up remover at the end of the day as well. If you use it first thing in the morning it will also help to wake you up. A few things that have helped my skin the most: Clean your pillow cases regularly. Eat omega fatty acids! Use only non-comedogenic makeup and facial lotions. Exfoliate regularly. Definitely have to agree with the Omega bit. I started taking Omega 3-6-9 supplements...even though I eat a lot of fish. My skin went: "Awwwww, fuck yus!!!" and was happy. If I even go a day or two of forgetting to take it, there is a noticeable uptick in acne. Everyone should take Omega 3's! It also improved my mood, my dry eyes and made some brain fog go away. I'm a veg so I use the non-fish kind, which my doctor said isn't as potent. I take a little more. Really? I never knew omega fatty acids were good for the skin! Thanks for the tip! I have rosacea so everything bothers my skin. I would just agree with the sunscreen. My dermatologist said you should apply sunscreen every four hours. I don't agree with "don't load up on fatty foods". I've been on low carb (ketogenic diet) for a few months and my skin is softer, clearer, no zits at all. I don't wash up my makeup every night, and in this season I bath with hot water. That has not caused any trouble with my skin. And my skin is awfully delicate.

I've just recently been diagnosed with rosacea and am still trying to work out my triggers etc. it seems to me that a lot of my triggers have more to do with food I eat than the products I use on my skin. Eating too much chilli definitely causes a flare up, for example. Do you know what your triggers are? Or ever had some related to food? I'm wondering if maybe I also have an allergic thing going on too. Sorry for the weird questions! permalink embed save parent give gold [–]LaCaquita 4 points 4 years ago Well, I live in a hot place. I mean, HOT, we get to 42°C on summer, dry (better than humid). Hot climates, that's one. Cold climate too. Stress, food of course too, that includes hot food and spicy food. Exercise, yep that too. The doctor said that if I continue doing the things that may cause redness in my skin, the rosasea gets worse with time. I tried taking Oratane for treatment, but it's oh so damn expensive (for a college student living alone and working). Here in Mexico that costed me $40 USD a month. For now, I take care as I can... I can't stop doing exercise or eating spicy food (damn, I already said I'm mexican!) because of it. In the future maybe I'll take Oratane again (it can damage a baby if you plan on having one, even if you stop taking it for months I think) and see how life goes on then. For a while my parents gave as a birthday present Lancome's Teint Idole (small town, almost no options) and that has really worked to cover the redness. Do you know a better makeup? I've read about Mac makeup but they don't sell that here... and I don't know if I can match correctly my color if ordering online.

Another question: what sunscreen does everyone use? We're supposed to use it every day to prevent skin cancer (and dark spots/wrinkles!) but so many are greasy. I've been trying the Aveeno one (that's sort of like Neutrogena's dry touch), but was wondering if anyone had a better recommendation? (Note: I'm talking about for arms/chest/legs as well as face/neck.) permalink embed save give gold [–]LadyVagrant 4 points 4 years ago La Roche Posay makes good, non-greasy sunscreens. Neutrogena's Helioplex line is less greasy than a lot of drugstore sunscreens I've tried. I have also found that Asian lines like Shiseido, Sofina, DHC, Fancl, etc. tend to make good, light, non-greasy sunscreens. (They are not great if you can't tolerate silicones, though). They have never made me shiny.

You know, I honestly go for a body lotion with at least spf 15 during the winter. I don't have a particular brand I enjoy yet, but I managed to find this article just now. In the summer, it's so humid here in Missouri that you're sticky and greasy anyway, so I just buy something in the 45 spf range and up. I'll try this summer some new lotion/spf combos and see where it goes. permalink embed save parent give gold [–]purplegoodance 2 points 4 years ago I'm outside so often (and in NZ now - so it's already summer!) and have such pale skin that SPF 15 isn't gonna cut it for more than an hour for me. I'm definitely going to see if I can locate a regular body lotion with SPF 30 or higher! :)

One thing that helped me a lot back in high school was simply avoiding touching my face unless I was washing it. That way the oil and what-not from my hands wouldn't clog my pores and cause breakouts. permalink embed save [–]purplegoodance 4 points 4 years ago THIS. I notice when I absent-mindedly touch my face (while working on something stressful or whatever) I'll have a zit there in the next day or so. It's almost enough to make me want to wear gloves year-round. permalink embed save parent give gold [–]kfunke 6 points 4 years ago Coconut oil to remove makeup (rinse off after). I started taking Vitamin E and Omega for dry eye and my skin flourished. I swear my larger pores aren't as large. Dry brush using natural bristles. Look up how-tos on Youtube. This helped my KP as well as the coconut oil. Sunscreen the areas. None of this SPF 15 business, except lip stuff. 45 all the way. Nutrisonic/Clarisonic twice week at least or whenever you are extra oily/makeupy.

CeraVe Renewing lotion! Honestly changed my skin. I normally have classic "winter skin" (sometimes when it's not even winter!!) where it's easily irritated, bumpy (probably mild KP) and flakey as hell. However, this lotion has rejuvenated my skin; I have gorgeous, hydrated summer skin, and it's February! :) Only con: it's a little more expensive than most body lotions I would buy, but even if it cost double, I'd still re-buy! And although the bottle is a smaller size than my other pump lotions (8 fl oz rather than 18), it lasts quite awhile! Probably due to how fluidly it applies. I also love jojoba oil – especially on my face under moisturizer (I use CeraVe moisturizing cream for my face, also life changing! – coconut oil, olive oil, witch hazel, and regularly exfoliating (body and face). And, as others have mentioned, I regularly use a Clarisonic and have seen a great difference in my dry skin, redness, and occasional zits.

Wash your sheets more often! Most people don't clean them nearly as often as they should. I use a designated face towel that doesn't touch any other part of my body because I am acne prone. don't use 16 different products. stick to a basic cleanser and skincare regime you will actually follow through with clean your cell phone there is no magic makeup product that makes up for terrible skincare. you MUST take care of your skin if you want to look good. Spend more time getting familiar with what your skin responds well too, and less time slapping on makeup. I love cosmetics, but it doesnt hide bad habits

never use moisturizer products that also have spf or foundation/ cover up abilities. these products should be applied separately as they effect different layers of your skin. also wash your face once a day nightly followed but toner and a moisturizer. then in the morning you tone and moisturize pre and makeup routine.

I agree...and to that effect, everything should be tested. I found out the hard way that me and salicylic acid are never going to be friends. Miracle acne cure for some -- disgusting rash inducing nightmare for moi. permalink embed save parent [–]summerly27 3 points 4 years ago I started using coconut oil this summer as my moisturizer and gave not had more than one pimple since! I swear by it. Not to mention it is so much cheaper than buying tons of other products. permalink embed save parent give gold [–][deleted] 8 points 4 years ago I have not been fortunate enough to be completely zit-less, but my complexion has definitely improved. :) The only down-side is my boyfriend is apparently grossed out watching me slather on the coconut oil. His thought is "Oh, that makes her skin so much nicer...but oh, god, is that disgusting." Naturally, knowing this, I purposefully do this in front of him. HA!

Not only is Dr. Bronner's soap very inexpensive, it's great for acne prone skin. I use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap as a facial wash. A $9 bottle lasts me nearly an entire year. It leaves my face feeling incredibly soft and clean. Plus, the peppermint oil acts as a natural decongestant for skin. According to livestrong.com, " It is cooling to the skin, inhibits bacterial growth and reduces testosterone 5 ALPHA-reductase production." I also use Dr. Bronner's as body wash (a little bit goes a long way on a loofah). Castile soap is great for skin. The peppermint makes me feel tingly and cool all over (which is great for summer), so I go with the rose kind for most of the year. Coconut oil as a skin moisturizer! Again, a little bit goes a long way. Use it as a hair conditioner, too. There's some hub-bub about using unrefined vs. refined coconut oil. Personally? I don't like coconuts, and I can't stand the smell. I use refined (organic), and my skin feels great. Plus, no coconut smell. Mildly related to skin: your tear ducts. If your eyelids/eyelash area feel a little sore (especially if you wear eye makeup often), make sure to keep your tear ducts free and open. When you're in the shower, keep your face under hot water and gently massage your eyelash line with your index finger for 30 seconds. Your eyes will feel refreshed, and your tear ducts will be open.

Supposedly, iodine causes acne. I haven't actually tested it because most sea salt doesn't have iodine in it anyway. permalink embed save parent give gold [–]geniphur 1 point 4 years ago Thanks for the information! I looked it up and it seems like iodine could cause acne if your daily iodine intake is excessive (over 150 mcg). I wouldn't worry about applying it to skin since it'll be diluted (e.g., in a mask as you mentioned) and washed off.

Splash with cold water after cleaning. Helps minimize pores and wake up nerves to aid in anti aging. permalink embed save give gold [–]lulundi 3 points 4 years ago I mix rosehip oil and water as a facial moisturizer. It's really light and has been evening my skintone quite a bit. For my pores I have to use Paula's Choice BHA Toner (Clear line). It really helps eliminate blackheads. Empty pores look smaller, obviously. Shea butter to moisturize my eyes. Sunscreen to protect. Also, drinking spearmint tea has helped calm my hormonal acne.

Oh I had the exact opposite - Im on a keto diet (low carb, high fat) and my skin has never been better! It is glowing and clear and wonderful.

Same here! My face cleared up and my skin became super soft where it used to be dry. My elbows are like buttah!!! permalink embed save parent give gold [–]LadyVagrant 3 points 4 years ago My best skincare tip is for people with oily acne-prone skin to stop using oil-free products aimed at people with acne. The cleansers and toners tend to be harsh and stripping and the moisturizers are not moisturizing enough and may even contain alcohols and other ingredients that will dry out your skin. Add acne medication into the mix and you are aggressively drying the hell out of your skin. This will only make your skin produce even more oil to compensate. So you'll have skin that is simultaneously broken out, greasy, but with surface flakiness and dryness. Instead, treat your skin like it's sensitive. Switch to a gentle, non-medicated cleanser like Cetaphil. Wash with lukewarm water. Pat dry with clean towels. If you want a toner, use witch hazel instead of medicated toners. Use Cetaphil, Cerave, or plain jojoba oil to moisturize your face. You'll find that, after a week or two, your skin will actually be less oily. permalink embed save give gold [–][deleted] 2 points 4 years ago I could not agree more with sugar and coconut oil. I'm away from home for a while and haven't been doing it, and my skin is so sad.

mmm love the coconut oil. I put olay beauty cream and then a bit of oil on top at night for a heavier night moisturizer. for the day I use ebryolisse creme lait moisturizer under my makeup which feels soo silky and a nice primer for the tinted moisturizer I use (Laura Mercier). Also, I have eczema and been using First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream which seems to be working well so far! permalink embed save give gold [–]GbyeGirl 2 points 4 years ago I love the idea if natural products, but many are skin irritants. Peppermint oil, lavender, and citrus oils are irritants and can cause inflammation. They may temporarily make the skin look nice because mild inflammation will give a pink glow and the fluid retention will hide wrinkles, but inflammation over the long term is aging and can eventually cause skin damage. Also, I'm a little confused as to why you'd use something as harsh and scratchy as salt or sugar on the skin, but then warn that we need to pat a towel so as not to scrape the skin with it? permalink embed save give gold [–]notrelatedtoameliaI know some stuff[S] 1 point 4 years ago I usually melt the sugar scrub down as an exfoliant that I only really use once every few weeks, or when my skin is rough. And yeah, I noticed the abrasive properties of sugar recently.

My skin cleared up considerably when I got on low carb. Even hormonal breakouts are minimal with maybe one blemish versus four or five previously. I guess everyone is different. permalink embed save give gold Yeah it's funny. My skin became really greasy and my hair looked dull all the time. I started breaking out with zits once to twice a week. Normally, I get on every several months. MAYBE. I was surprised at the opposite effect everyone else has. EDIT: Spelling permalink embed save parent give gold. I'm sorry it didn't agree with your skin!! It was an unexpected bonus for me. Then again, I tend to have dry skin so maybe that's why it helps me out. :/ permalink embed save parent give gold  Sunscreen. Drink loads of water.

Something that has recently really changed my skin is washing my face longer. It did not think it would help so much but I started to wash my face for a full 60 seconds and there was definitely a big change. I have gotten compliments on my skin and I never have before. It's a small change that really has given great results. I also make sure I use two cleansers when I have on makeup. I use a gentle gel cleanser to remove makeup and then a salicylic acid cleanser for my skin. When I wash my skin for 60 seconds with the second product it really does help. One more small change is to splash your face with cold, cold, COLD water after you get out of the shower. I take hot showers but also wash my face in there too. So, when I finish I make sure to 'close' my pores with very cold water.

Comments

Popular Posts